[QUESTION] Google Play Store stuck with screen 'Google Play Store is updating. Please wait...'

H96 Pro, X98 Pro, TX9 Pro to name a few...
cccamstar
Answers: 0

Hi,

I was happily using my S912 Amlogic based device with AtvXperience v2H. Last day, I have seen that I can't update an app anymore. After opening the Google PlayStore, I've got the following message:
"Google Play Store is updating. Please wait..."
  • After waiting long and than pushing OK nothing happened.
  • Deleting the data of the Google Playstore APK did not bring anything
  • Trying to update the Google Play APK via Aptoide did not bring anything.
  • Downloading the next version (com.android.vending_13.9.41-xhdpi_8_PR_239072669-81394168_minAPI21(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(320dpi)_apkmirror.com) from APKmirror and installing it, resulted in 'This APK may be corrupt' error.
  • Trying to change the APK manually with a new version on the /system/priv-app/Tubesky folder resulted complete lost of the Google Play icon. (Maybe used the wrong APK?)
Any ideas how can I bring back the Google PlayStore for Android TV?
em3ka

There is no need to for updating the Google Play Store ever, prior you should first update Google Play services and WebView system apps.
cccamstar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm Trying to change the APK manually with a new version on the /system/priv-app/Tubesky folder resulted complete lost of the Google Play icon. (Maybe used the wrong APK?)
Extract Tubesky APK from the atvX FW with ricky's tool or use/rename older version of Google Play Store from APKmirror and check if the premissons (0644) are set right an also wipe cache.
cccamstar

Hi, thanks for the tips. I‘ll try this. But how can I update the google play services and webview without google play? Just downlading the latest version apk from apkmirror and executing them? For the wipe cache, I probably go into recovery mode (Twrp), or is there any easier way on linux command line?
em3ka

cccamstar wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:36 pm ...wipe cache, I probably go into recovery mode...
Yes.
cccamstar wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:36 pm ...downlading the latest version apk from apkmirror and executing them?...
Yes.
:point_down:
viewtopic.php?p=6847#p6847
cccamstar

em3ka wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 am There is no need to for updating the Google Play Store ever, prior you should first update Google Play services and WebView system apps.
cccamstar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm Trying to change the APK manually with a new version on the /system/priv-app/Tubesky folder resulted complete lost of the Google Play icon. (Maybe used the wrong APK?)
Extract Tubesky APK from the atvX FW with ricky's tool or use/rename older version of Google Play Store from APKmirror and check if the premissons (0644) are set right an also wipe cache.
em3ka wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 am There is no need to for updating the Google Play Store ever, prior you should first update Google Play services and WebView system apps.
Hi [mention]em3ka[/mention] ,
so, I tried the suggestions. With rick's tool I got some antivirus warnings so I decided to download the same version of PlayStore from apkmirror and tried with the version "com.android.vending_13.1.33-xhdpi_8_PR_228639270-81313368_minAPI21(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(320dpi)_apkmirror.com"

Although I've set the owner and file security correctly ( and done the updates to Google Services and Webview) after wiping Cache I lost the icon for Google PlayStore completely. Reverting to the old Tubesky.apk also did not bring anything.

I than reloaded an older backup from December to see, that actually the PlayStore also does not work on that one! Is it possible, that Google has restricted access to PlayStore from not registered third party AndroidTV boxes? How can I bring back my PlayStore icon back to the UI?
cccamstar

Hi,
anybody can help me with this problem of Google PlayStore? Google PlayStore is either crashing immediately after start or it goes into a screen telling that it is updating itself. Changing the APK in the priv-app folder resulted in completely lost of the icon from the UI, although I double checked the owner and file rights of the apk.

Is there maybe a package that I can install via TWRP to bring PlayStore back as a built-in Androip App?

[mention]bumerc[/mention] [mention]em3ka[/mention] Any ideas here?
em3ka

cccamstar wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 pm ...I than reloaded an older backup from December to see, that actually the PlayStore also does not work on that one!...
Make a fresh install....