[QUESTION] Only 2.0 audio over HDMI?

H96 Pro, X98 Pro, TX9 Pro to name a few...
thigger
Answers: 0

I have 2FF installed on a S912 box (H96 Pro, 2Gb)
It works well but I'm struggling to get anything over 2.0 audio out of it (connected to a receiver that can handle 7.1)
Kodi manages passthrough fine, and I've managed a workaround by getting it to transcode to AC3 - but other apps don't have that ability and are restricted to 2.0

I know 2.0 is a restriction on the SPDIF interface, but HDMI should be capable of passing all the channels - does anyone have any idea how to get this working or is it a known issue? I've had a fiddle with a number of the ROM settings in "Audio" but with no changes.
ricklar

thigger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:34 pm I have 2FF installed on a S912 box (H96 Pro, 2Gb)
It works well but I'm struggling to get anything over 2.0 audio out of it (connected to a receiver that can handle 7.1)
Kodi manages passthrough fine, and I've managed a workaround by getting it to transcode to AC3 - but other apps don't have that ability and are restricted to 2.0

I know 2.0 is a restriction on the SPDIF interface, but HDMI should be capable of passing all the channels - does anyone have any idea how to get this working or is it a known issue? I've had a fiddle with a number of the ROM settings in "Audio" but with no changes.
I have a surround sound receiver connected and for the most part if i am watching something with imbedded Surround audio channels then always it shows the Surround sound icon active while using my tvbox.

1.) Have the the "Sound" setting "Surround sound" marked "Always" in purple settings. With "Digital sounds" set to "HDMI"
2.) I always use Kodi, MX Player, or VLC player because they have the "Audio Passthrough" setting. May have to trigger it in each individual players settings.

My Surround receiver unit is not 7.1 Surround, though, the majority of Amlogic boxes only came stock with support for 5.1 Surround Sound. According to Chigz Tech Reviews device charts some H96 boxes like the "H96 Pro Stick" only had support for standard audio not Surround sound. I would think the atvX firmware would correct that, sound being a software issue not a hardware issue when tv boxes don't have their own speakers.
BE KIND, BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS, RESPECT THE MODERATORS,
*IMPORTANT NOTE* ONLY PM MODERATORS OR DEVELOPERS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
ricklar

Did find another build.prop code for Audio that I haven't tested yet. It may not be supported in our firmware and I don't know what it does exactly, my thinking is it relates to Dolby Audio or DTS HD.

Code: Select all

audio.high.resolution.enable=true
BE KIND, BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS, RESPECT THE MODERATORS,
*IMPORTANT NOTE* ONLY PM MODERATORS OR DEVELOPERS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!