MXQ S805

S905D, S905, S8xx Series and other box users can discuss here :)
dishe
Answers: 0

I've been rocking an original Beelink style MXQ (the one with the red stripe) since it first came out, running Android KitKat. In my struggles to keep it somewhat up to date I've been running a very decent port of LibreElec. The dev has moved on and there are no more updates coming for this box, third party or otherwise it seems. The version of Kodi on there is starting to get outdated as well, so I started looking around.
I was *SO EXCITED* to hear about this rom, because the ATV experience is ultimately what I always wanted! But it looks like there's no love for chipsets as old as mine, is there? I can't find any information confirming yes or no definitely, but I'm assuming if it were supported someone would have mentioned it by now.
Is it actually finally time for me to find some new hardware?
dishe

I've been poking around and saw that you can get the leanback version of netflix to work in higher than 480p! Now I REALLY want this!
I originally was interested because my kodi is outdated (no more libreelec updates and Android 4.4 won't support modern Kodi editions). But even in Android, my MXQ s805 couldn't play netflix or Amazon video in HD. Standard definition only, due to restrictions from those companies.

I currently use an Xbox 360 as a Netflix/Amazon Video player... we don't play on it much anymore, but its a whole other device simply because the MXQ can't stream those at more than standard def. I've seen mention of possible ports ATVX to other AMLogic hardware in the future... is the S805 possible? Or is it too outdated?
Nayam
Administrator & Developer

dishe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 am I've been poking around and saw that you can get the leanback version of netflix to work in higher than 480p! Now I REALLY want this!
I originally was interested because my kodi is outdated (no more libreelec updates and Android 4.4 won't support modern Kodi editions). But even in Android, my MXQ s805 couldn't play netflix or Amazon video in HD. Standard definition only, due to restrictions from those companies.

I currently use an Xbox 360 as a Netflix/Amazon Video player... we don't play on it much anymore, but its a whole other device simply because the MXQ can't stream those at more than standard def. I've seen mention of possible ports ATVX to other AMLogic hardware in the future... is the S805 possible? Or is it too outdated?
too outdated tbh. S805 support was dropped long ago by amlogic already. Also, it's not really possible to get 480p+ without Google's drm.
BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL
RESPECT THE MODERATORS
PM ONLY WHEN IMPORTANT
ENJOY!
My Devices:
X96 Mini, A95X Pro, H96 Pro Stick, A95X Max
dishe

Nayam wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 am too outdated tbh. S805 support was dropped long ago by amlogic already. Also, it's not really possible to get 480p+ without Google's drm.
I appreciate your honesty. Guess maybe time to move on, although LibreElec runs beautifully on it (such a shame that its an outdated version).

So what is the deal with Google's drm then? Do only certain boxes have that? I saw mention of a version of Netflix modified (not the official from the store) to enable ultraHD streaming on ATVXperience. I assumed that was somehow bypassing the whole drm nonsense. Are you saying that only works with specific hardware or something?
Nayam

dishe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Nayam wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 am too outdated tbh. S805 support was dropped long ago by amlogic already. Also, it's not really possible to get 480p+ without Google's drm.
I appreciate your honesty. Guess maybe time to move on, although LibreElec runs beautifully on it (such a shame that its an outdated version).

So what is the deal with Google's drm then? Do only certain boxes have that? I saw mention of a version of Netflix modified (not the official from the store) to enable ultraHD streaming on ATVXperience. I assumed that was somehow bypassing the whole drm nonsense. Are you saying that only works with specific hardware or something?
Netflix is bitchy about drm, don't know why.
Even if you have a google certified Device, it will have to be netflix certified as well to be able to run 1080p.
BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL
RESPECT THE MODERATORS
PM ONLY WHEN IMPORTANT
ENJOY!
My Devices:
dishe

Nayam wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 pm Netflix is bitchy about drm, don't know why.
Even if you have a google certified Device, it will have to be netflix certified as well to be able to run 1080p.
I've noticed that on the Android side of things, so I shouldn't be surprised. But I thought the official Google TV interface used a different set of apps that maybe were less finicky.

I remember back when I first got my MXQ, the dream was to get the leanback interface version of Netflix working because the UI was button friendly and supposedly didn't have this stupid 480p restriction. Guess only the former is true?

So are there any affordable boxes that will work with ATVX and Netflix in HD?
Nayam

dishe wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 pm
Nayam wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 pm Netflix is bitchy about drm, don't know why.
I've noticed that on the Android side of things, so I shouldn't be surprised. But I thought the official Google TV interface used a different set of apps that maybe were less finicky.

I remember back when I first got my MXQ, the dream was to get the leanback interface version of Netflix working because the UI was button friendly and supposedly didn't have this stupid 480p restriction. Guess only the former is true?

So are there any affordable boxes that will work with ATVX and Netflix in HD?
The only I can think of is Xiaomi Mibox
BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL
RESPECT THE MODERATORS
PM ONLY WHEN IMPORTANT
ENJOY!
My Devices:
dishe

Nayam wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm The only I can think of is Xiaomi Mibox
Wow, that's not such a cheap box at all. Such a shame, I was looking at all these S905w boxes nearly half that price and getting excited. Oh well, back to the drawing board then.

So you're telling me that "unofficial netflix app" floating around here for UHD resolution was only compatible with the MiBox?
Elkavi

Uygun Rom Bulamıyorum yardımcı olun lütfen

modEDIT:
Translation
SPOILER_SHOW
I can't find a suitable Rom please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
em3ka

@Elkavi
To old, not supported...
:thinking: viewtopic.php?t=2509#p13489