[DISCUSSION] Any working custom roms for the Bqeel Android TV Box Y4 MAX [4G+64G] TV Box mit S905X2 Quad-core ARM?

New and faster chipset from Amlogic
7gr52
Verified Member
Answers: 0

Hello,

It has been months since I last posted here. I was told that the Bqeel Android TV Box Y4 MAX [4G+64G] TV Box mit S905X2 Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 is still under investigation for custom rom installation. Most custom roms may boot for this rom but it does not work fully due to missing drivers such as bluetooth, lan, and wifi. With out the driver(s), the custom roms for this device is useless.

the question I have is are they any new advancements for this device? Are we finally able to see a fully operating custom rom for this device? I can perhaps try a few custom roms because I have the stock firmware that works from the manufacturer.

I think this device is good but it can be better with a custom rom.
ricklar

Those devices from Bqeel look really cheap and probably why no developers have bought them to work on a custom ROM for it. Device has same casing as HK1 branded devices so maybe the firmwares are compatible. I remember I read on FreakTab that somebody with the Y4 Max tried about a dozen different custom S905x2 firmwares on the Bqeel and none of them worked 100% like you said some major component not working like bluetooth, lan, or wifi.

My guess is the board might not adhere to Amlogic's reference board guidelines and the only way to get everything working correctly is to use the stock kernel and bootloader from the Bqeel stock rom merged into a custom ROM.
BE KIND, BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS, RESPECT THE MODERATORS,
*IMPORTANT NOTE* ONLY PM MODERATORS OR DEVELOPERS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
7gr52
Verified Member

ricklar wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:29 pm Those devices from Bqeel look really cheap and probably why no developers have bought them to work on a custom ROM for it. Device has same casing as HK1 branded devices so maybe the firmwares are compatible. I remember I read on FreakTab that somebody with the Y4 Max tried about a dozen different custom S905x2 firmwares on the Bqeel and none of them worked 100% like you said some major component not working like bluetooth, lan, or wifi.

My guess is the board might not adhere to Amlogic's reference board guidelines and the only way to get everything working correctly is to use the stock kernel and bootloader from the Bqeel stock rom merged into a custom ROM.
I had no idea that this board is cheap and it is a no named brand. I went to Amazon Canada and filtered the setting for highest rated product at the time of purchase. It had good reviews.

To be honest, the device is not that bad when you manually remove default apps. I feel like the video performance could be slightly better and i know for a fact that a custom firmware can make it much better.

You have the same thought pattern as other people. I think using the stock kernal and bootloader merged with custom rom could solve this issue. i personally would not know how to do that.

ps: i tried the HK1 custom roms and i have had no luck. I tried all other custom roms from the right section forums (freaktabs) and nothing seems to work. The farest I have gone is perhaps loading the main screen but it is useless due to missing drivers. Most of the times, installing a custom would not boot due to the setup process when it asks for WIFI information.
ricklar

7gr52 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:08 pm I had no idea that this board is cheap and it is a no named brand. I went to Amazon Canada and filtered the setting for highest rated product at the time of purchase. It had good reviews.
Never trust the reviews, lol. I always look for YouTube reviews and make sure there is more then 1 positive review. But, that can be misleading as well because Sunvell released the T95Q early in the rollout out of the S905x2 chip, and it was pretty much the only taste of the chip reviewers had access to, and all the reviewers raved about that device but it really wasn't that great because the firmware isn't that great.
To be honest, the device is not that bad when you manually remove default apps. I feel like the video performance could be slightly better and i know for a fact that a custom firmware can make it much better.
About video performance, are you checking that with physical media saved to a USB or judging that by Streaming?

If judging it by streaming, you can install the app L-Speed, open it up select Perfomance profile and reboot device. The app does a lot of little setting tweaks to the system on every boot, like it will improve Ram utilization and add Big Net buffers that may help your video streaming issues.

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
7gr52
Verified Member

ricklar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am
7gr52 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:08 pm I had no idea that this board is cheap and it is a no named brand. I went to Amazon Canada and filtered the setting for highest rated product at the time of purchase. It had good reviews.
Never trust the reviews, lol. I always look for YouTube reviews and make sure there is more then 1 positive review. But, that can be misleading as well because Sunvell released the T95Q early in the rollout out of the S905x2 chip, and it was pretty much the only taste of the chip reviewers had access to, and all the reviewers raved about that device but it really wasn't that great because the firmware isn't that great.
About video performance, are you checking that with physical media saved to a USB or judging that by Streaming?

If judging it by streaming, you can install the app L-Speed, open it up select Perfomance profile and reboot device. The app does a lot of little setting tweaks to the system on every boot, like it will improve Ram utilization and add Big Net buffers that may help your video streaming issues.
I will be careful with reviews. Good thing is that i may end having up a buyer from Craigslist who is interested in my device. So i can sell that and buy a better device for myself :grin:

I will try L-Speed to tune up my device.

Can i ask, if i were to buy the latest OS Android TV system, which one shall i buy? I want the best of the best and something we know for a fact that a custom rom is possible to install.
ricklar

7gr52 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:07 pm Can i ask, if i were to buy the latest OS Android TV system, which one shall i buy? I want the best of the best and something we know for a fact that a custom rom is possible to install.
The "best of the best" is subjective to what a person finds most important. That being said, if I was to suggest some S905x2 chip devices that have decent stock firmwares with some factory support I would suggest the Beelink GT-Mini or the Ugoos X2 Cube. The Beelink GT-mini also has quite a few custom ROMs available already on FreakTab.

But, if you want AndroidTV OS and don't want to worry about flashing custom ROMs then both the Mecool KM9_Pro or Mecool KM3 should be more than decent devices to own. KM3 is suppose to have better wifi antenna, but if your using tvbox with Ethernet that doesn't matter.

Myself, in June I ordered the A95X-F2 that is suppose to have good stock firmware, Android 9, and S905x2 chip because I wanted a new device to play with; but Gearbest.com failed to send it to me and it was still not due to arrive to their warehouses for another 2 weeks making it 2 months from initial order that it would even be shipped out, especially frustrating because website said it was "In Stock" when I ordered it; so now instead I'm having them send me the X96S which is a TV stick device with S905y2 chip. From what I have read it is a decent device that has some continued support through OTA's from the manufacturer.

GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
7gr52
Verified Member

ricklar wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 am
7gr52 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:07 pm Can i ask, if i were to buy the latest OS Android TV system, which one shall i buy? I want the best of the best and something we know for a fact that a custom rom is possible to install.
The "best of the best" is subjective to what a person finds most important. That being said, if I was to suggest some S905x2 chip devices that have decent stock firmwares with some factory support I would suggest the Beelink GT-Mini or the Ugoos X2 Cube. The Beelink GT-mini also has quite a few custom ROMs available already on FreakTab.

But, if you want AndroidTV OS and don't want to worry about flashing custom ROMs then both the Mecool KM9_Pro or Mecool KM3 should be more than decent devices to own. KM3 is suppose to have better wifi antenna, but if your using tvbox with Ethernet that doesn't matter.

Myself, in June I ordered the A95X-F2 that is suppose to have good stock firmware, Android 9, and S905x2 chip because I wanted a new device to play with; but Gearbest.com failed to send it to me and it was still not due to arrive to their warehouses for another 2 weeks making it 2 months from initial order that it would even be shipped out, especially frustrating because website said it was "In Stock" when I ordered it; so now instead I'm having them send me the X96S which is a TV stick device with S905y2 chip. From what I have read it is a decent device that has some continued support through OTA's from the manufacturer.
I will check out the Beelink GT-Mini or the Ugoos X2 Cube if i can sell my current device.