Universal FIX for TWRP in Amlogic devices.

Post your great articles here :)
ricklar
Answers: 0

#This is a repost, don't know how original post got deleted#

Finally got TWRP working. Had to source info on a TWRP.img from forum.xda-developers.com - because also booting into the atvX firmware's recovery would not initiate. Very frustrating :rage:

Link is to a different firmware ROM for the purpose of installing TWRP, that ROM installs thru TWRP, so a functioning TWRP is mandatory. Source Link:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... m-t3751720

That forum link's main post has two embedded Mega download links to "Custom" universal Amlogic s912 TWRP.img :: either 2gb-ram-twrp.img OR a 3gb-ram-twrp.img ~depending on how much ram your device has.

Easy FIX:
1) Install Official TWRP App from a Google Play store thru mirror or fork.
- Used apkmirror.com
2) Download the twrp.img file (14mb) from above forum.xda-developers.com link that matches your devices ram, Save in device internal storage at partition > /sdcard/
3) Open Official TWRP app
4) Select TWRP FLASH
5) Select Device > Android Emulator = twrp (don't download thru twrp)
6) Select file to flash > twrp.img from your storage /sdcard/
7) Select > Flash to Recovery
-Device should flash, then in app settings Select Reboot in Recovery, and should start in TWRP recovery. If done correctly you will have installed TWRP v3.2.1.0

Hope this helps those looking to reinstall TWRP.

This Fix should work for all s912 devices running the atvX-firmware version v2FF or older.

Edit: the new Official TWRP.apk v1.21 doesn't let you pick file from internal storage when you link TWRP to your Google account, or allow image from external SDcard to Flash the TWRP-Recovery. So use v1.19 or older.

Second Edit:
Here I found this link to a TWRP tutorial that has TWRP downloads for the Amlogic S905, S905X, S912, and the new S905x2 .... ;)
Link:
https://androidpctv.com/tutorial-instal ... x-amlogic/
BE KIND, BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS, RESPECT THE MODERATORS,
*IMPORTANT NOTE* ONLY PM MODERATORS OR DEVELOPERS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
corrigo

Hi ricklar.

Which version should we pick concerning the twrp ?

When i select the Android emulator -- twrp (for my BeeLink GT1), i have :
[*]twrp-3.2.1.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-3.1.0.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-3.0.2.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.8.5.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.8.0.1-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.8.0.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.7.0.1-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.7.0.0-twrp.img
[*]twrp-2.6.3.0-twrp.img

According http://apps.atvxperience.com/, TWRP is 3.1.1 so i'm lost.
ricklar

[mention]corrigo[/mention] Read my post again. You download the S912 TWRP image from xda-developers.com link; not from internal TWRP downloads.
corrigo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 pm According http://apps.atvxperience.com/, TWRP is 3.1.1 so i'm lost.
That download from AtvX is a zip to install TWRP 3.1.1 in your stock firmware box using the stock "Update" apk to Flash the zip file to initiate TWRP recovery; purpose is to make a full system backup to SDcard or USB drive, if you so desired. The zip file was originally made for S905x/S905w chipped devices; I tried it in my S912 and it did work for me, with the exception that when using zip connected with an old tv, the zip changed the screen dimensions meaning the unit's OS screen didn't take up the full available space the TV supplied.

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
Mateo2249
Verified Member

Hello Ricklar,
I just installed atvx V2ff on my T95Z plus and I can not boot on twrp to flash the display patch ... root is enabled and I installed the application available on the play store "TV boot" unsuccessfully, as well as the standard toothpick method ...
should I use your method? thank you
ricklar

[mention]Mateo2249[/mention] Yes, this tutorial is because TWRP Recovery wasn't working in the AtvX firmware image.

GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
Mateo2249
Verified Member

@ Ricklar Ok very good 👍 thanks
ricklar

Edited original post with link to more TWRP downloads!
Cheers

GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
Hazeleye65

When i choose android emulator it gives me versions of twrp and when i click on the version i downloaded from your link and placed recovery.img in sdcard the app directs me to a website to download it. It does not give me the option to select file. Also when i put it on sd card and try and boot to it the screen gets stuck on vorec.
T95zmax
ricklar

Hazeleye65 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 am When i choose android emulator it gives me versions of twrp and when i click on the version i downloaded from your link and placed recovery.img in sdcard the app directs me to a website to download it. It does not give me the option to select file. Also when i put it on sd card and try and boot to it the screen gets stuck on vorec.
T95zmax
You problem is addressed in Original Post:
2) Download the twrp.img file (14mb) from above forum.xda-developers.com link that matches your devices ram, Save in device internal storage at partition > /sdcard/
Which means "don't download thru twrp" :grin:
And
"Edit: the new Official TWRP.apk v1.21 doesn't let you pick file from internal storage when you link TWRP to your Google account, or allow image from external SDcard to Flash the TWRP-Recovery. So use v1.19 or older."

That being said, if you visit the original xda-developers website post to get the S912 TWRP, they mentioned that some older Sunvell TVbox models locked the Bootloader and that you would need to update to to most recent stock firmware that had unlocked Bootloader before being able to install TWRP. That could be a big hassle because that virtually wipes your device fresh anyways when installing a firmware, so recommend trying the TWRP3.1.1.zip installer that goes through the stock Update app. Zip in apps.atvxperience.com

GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
inscriber

Hazeleye65 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 am When i choose android emulator it gives me versions of twrp and when i click on the version i downloaded from your link and placed recovery.img in sdcard the app directs me to a website to download it. It does not give me the option to select file. Also when i put it on sd card and try and boot to it the screen gets stuck on vorec.
T95zmax
Or simply use Amlogic flash tool it work for me. put twrp in ROOT and rename it to recovery.img then open amlogic flash tool and click select recovery then click flash recovery.