[Discussion] H96 Pro+ ~Pros, cons, and tips

H96 Pro, X98 Pro, TX9 Pro to name a few...
em3ka
Answers: 0

dankell wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:47 pm ... Do I need the Bluetooth or WI-FI patch or game control patches ...
Probably not, bluetooth & WiFi drivers are integrated, also supported are many game controllers, but it can always be compatibility problems.
dankell wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:47 pm ... more settings Patch with this version ...
Yeah, they are disabled but here is the workaround.
dankell
Verified Member

@ em3ka
Thank you Kindly for your input and help Sir .... That is just what I needed to know .. Very informative indeed ....Thank you.

Best Regards,
dankell
Verified Member

ricklar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:38 am Update: Settings Fixed
For those that are running V2G/V2H and hate the settings modifications that Adam did, and willing to tinker to get them operating back to normal here is quick guide without repackaging and reburning firmware image:

1) On PC Extract apks from unpacked v2FF firmware both Settings.apk and TvSettings.apk, just the .apk files not the actual file that it goes in or the odex file. Both are in files in /system/priv-app/
2) Use ESfileExplorer with Root Permissions set to RW to install these apks
3) In ESfile App window Select both TvSettings and Settings from system apps and then click Uninstall.
4) Open directory /system/priv-app/ find iTvSettings file, open, now copy paste the extracted TvSettings.apk
5) Set Permission rw- r- r- _by long pressing apk to Select it, click More menu, click Properties, click Change, edit Permission selection, click Ok, click Back
6) Open directory /system/priv-app/Settings and copy paste the Settings.apk
7) Set Permission rw- r- r- _by long pressing apk to Select it, click More menu, click Properties, click Change, edit Permission selection, click Ok, click Back
Reboot device and settings should be fully operational again. Cheers
@ricklar Hi m8 .

I have the V2H installed on a H96 PRO+ and have done the settings update. via your guide and this tool posted in the thread link viewtopic.php?f=16&t=987&hilit=extract+ ... t=10#p8657
Thank you Both for making my life so much smoother. :grinning:

But can you Please tell me any further recommendations to perform on this build ?
I have done the removal of the DEFUNCT! Nefarious YouTube TV app .....But want to make sure that the Android Box OS is as up to date as possible .
I have noticed the Google Play Store never seems to update to the latest version ? But the GooglePlay Music , GooglePlay games, GooglPlay Movies and TV have no such problems and are all updated.
Can the Play Store be fixed to update ? So we can get the latest version.

One more question also Please: What would be the best One click cleaner to have on this system ?
I have see variant Hybrids of this ATVX and some have had a one click cleaner Booster on a widget icon ...So I was wondering whats the best method to accomplish this ?
I just want the one that shows the icon ...You click it and it does it`s clean .. without opening numerous tabs to configure .

Your input or advice would be most appreciated Sir.... Thank you.

Best Regards,
ricklar

dankell wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 am @ricklar Hi m8 .
I have the V2H installed on a H96 PRO+ and have done the settings update. via your guide and this tool posted in the thread link viewtopic.php?f=16&t=987&hilit=extract+ ... t=10#p8657
Thank you Both for making my life so much smoother. :grinning:
But can you Please tell me any further recommendations to perform on this build ?
Hello,
there was a lot of modifications that needed to be done to V2H ROM to get it to my liking, so many so that in my device I run v2FF. One thing to fix if you feel capable to do so is modifying the build.prop by adding tweaks in, another would be to Flash SuperSU 2.82-R5 zip in TWRP to have updated Root and the Root manager app. But you have the blue PCB and that hardware didn't like v2FF so best for you to stay on V2H and add what tweaks you can.
I have done the removal of the DEFUNCT! Nefarious YouTube TV app .....But want to make sure that the Android Box OS is as up to date as possible .
I have noticed the Google Play Store never seems to update to the latest version ? But the GooglePlay Music , GooglePlay games, GooglPlay Movies and TV have no such problems and are all updated.
Can the Play Store be fixed to update ? So we can get the latest version.
Google Play store doesn't need to be updated for AndroidTV OS constantly like mobile, the newest latest version whatever it is and the very old version 11 are exactly the same to the User, all updates are in the back-end like to make the store compatible to Oreo and Pie firmwares. Just make sure your Play Services is updated, the app Play Services Info will make the Store open to Play Services directly to Update internally without having to sideload an update.
One more question also Please: What would be the best One click cleaner to have on this system ?
I have see variant Hybrids of this ATVX and some have had a one click cleaner Booster on a widget icon ...So I was wondering whats the best method to accomplish this ?
I just want the one that shows the icon ...You click it and it does it`s clean .. without opening numerous tabs to configure .
I don't recommend any One-Click cleaners, first most of them don't let you know what they are cleaning, secondly those cleaners either clean to much or not nearly enough.

Best Cleaner I use is SD-Maid, just install and do the Quick Access clean that it defaults to, no need to go and customize all its settings.

My second choice would be All-in-One Toolbox, this you need a mouse or touchpad remote to navigate and control it on a TVbox.
BE KIND, BE NICE, BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS, RESPECT THE MODERATORS,
*IMPORTANT NOTE* ONLY PM MODERATORS OR DEVELOPERS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
dankell
Verified Member

@ricklar

Thank you Sir and your information is very helpful to me.
One more question if I can be so Bold. :relaxed:
Would you recommend me staying on the V2H ROM or installing the v2FF ?
I know you mentioned the problem Blue PCB motherboard ......is this still true now with the problem on the v2FF as of posting. ?

I presumed that the H version was the latest and greatest but reading through many posts ..I am not sure or convinced that it is.

Thank You again for all your Tip and recommendation ...Which I will take on-board.

Best Regards,
ricklar

dankell wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 pm @ricklar
Thank you Sir and your information is very helpful to me.
One more question if I can be so Bold. :relaxed:
Would you recommend me staying on the V2H ROM or installing the v2FF ?
I know you mentioned the problem Blue PCB motherboard ......is this still true now with the problem on the v2FF as of posting. ?
I presumed that the H version was the latest and greatest but reading through many posts ..I am not sure or convinced that it is.
Thank You again for all your Tip and recommendation ...Which I will take on-board.
Best Regards,
Recommendation to stay with V2H, if the version found in this thread, it had the Bootloader specifically modified for your LPDDR3 ram type to have the correct Ram timing which is the main concern for getting the firmware to boot on different hardware. But if you want to experiment and install v2FF, now that v2H is currently installed and has put the correct Bootloader, when you use USB Burning Tool you'll have to untick the checkbox for "Erase Bootloader", leave "Erase Flash" ticked, and then v2FF may boot for your device now. But this is all theory and you may not boot at all and will have to reinstall v2H or the stock firmware.

V2H was the last version released, by no means the greatest, but it had some benefits over v2FF like Bluetooth instantly worked correctly where v2FF didn't work at all on half the devices that it got installed to, personally I can live without Bluetooth in my tv box but some can't. V2H also has a different kernel then V2FF.

Cheers,

☢️ My test device: H96 Pro+ 3gb/32gb DDR4 ☢️ Plus own Tanix, Beelink, Alfawise, X96S, Odroid-N2, Khadas VIM3L, X3, ADT-3, X96-Air
GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!
dankell
Verified Member

@ricklar Thank`s again Mate! for all your help and support...I really do appreciate it.
Thank you,

I guess that now I have the v2H version all backed up (TWRP) with all my tweaks and apps installed.......I can now try what you suggested and see ...what`s what.

I am curious now.................. But that age old saying springs to mind........ :slight_frown:
Curiosity Killed the cat...... :$
Still I say f@@k it and continue with my experimentation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks again Mate for all your Support.

Best Regards,
dankell
Verified Member

One Question Please..to the peeps whom have v2H version OS installed on a H96 Pro+

What temperatures are you getting ? What is an acceptable temp on idle and at load?
I have done a few basic Mods but Was wondering if I should also add a small PI fan.
getting temps of around 45-50 Celsius running a Smart YouTube TV video.

Edit Update: I made a major adjustment ...Just upgraded the heat-sink to a Super-cool Mat Black one I had lying around in my shed and it`s now in the lower end 40-41 Celsius...idle on dash ... without the fan mod...The actual box Mod Looks amazing! too me and You would actually think it was factory .... I will post a few Pic`s of the Box Mod soon.
I need to do a few more minor adjustments to maybe squeeze a little more %

Whats the sweet-spot for these box`s in general......I realize the cooler the better....But as a general rule ... What is acceptable?
Thanks Guy`s for any help or advice.

Best Regards,
Last edited by dankell on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dankell
Verified Member

Sharing a few of the box mod pics Guy`s... The V.1 s where my 1st mod and I wanted to keep the box as Vanilla as stock possible.
V.1 pic.1.JPG
V.1 pic 2.JPG
But while doing some stuff in my shed , I found a few old motherboards and one particular heat sink caught my Eye :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: A Mat Black Perfect size. Beauty :grinning: ...This is a Massive improvement to the stock version.
V.2 pic.1.JPG
V.1 pic 2.JPG
V.2 CPU idle on launcher screen startup.JPG
V.2 CPU idle on launcher screen 30 mins in.JPG
I used the previous Box Mod and just did a few more tweaks.... I used the Extreme Thermal grizzle Pads on the heat-sink which now covers both CPU and the RAM and I also added a small copper hear-sink to both the Toshiba On board memory & the WiFi module. I am very pleased with the results ...considering I am not using any fans whatsoever.

Temps seem very reasonable indeed , lower 40`s Celsius and load hits Mid to higher 40`s
(Box won`t be doing any really extreme stuff on it ...But I sure Hope it will cope )
I still need to do a few more tweaks ,which I read about on the forums and is recommended .......So maybe I will reduce it a few more Celsius.
One thing which really annoyed me ..... :-O was when I was modding the case to open up the 2 USB port..... I somehow managed to put an hairline crack in the case corner top.... It`s not too bad but it is noticeable.
Still ...All in all I am pleased with the OS ROM and once I finally finish doing a few more tweaks here and there ..... My daughter can finally get to use it. :')

Thank you Guy`s so much for all your Time, Help & Recommendations in helping me along with the H96 Pro+ setup.
I am quite sure I will find New questions very soon :grinning: for you Guy`s to answer.

Best Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ricklar

dankell wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:17 pm What temperatures are you getting ? What is an acceptable temp on idle and at load?
The chipset can safely handle continuous high load duty at 70^C, generally thermal throttling will occur once the temp hits the 80^C threshold or be triggered by a long continuous high-load duty cycle where temps are staying at or above 75^C.

I run the Performance CPU Governor triggered on with EX Kernel App, the performance governor does cause it to run hotter 5-10^C versus the standard Interactive Governor. But not a big issue, if device locks up or crashes it is always due to software flaws, not the hardware or temps in my testing.
Just upgraded the heat-sink to a Super-cool Mat Black one I had lying around in my shed and it`s now in the lower end 40-41 Celsius...idle on dash....
Nice big heatsink and modifications >:)
Whats the sweet-spot for these box`s in general......I realize the cooler the better....But as a general rule ... What is acceptable?
Without modifications the normal operating temp "sweet spot" is 45^C to 65^C.

But cooler is always better for devices that are passively cooled.

Cheers,

GEARBEST.com
PLEASE ENJOY ATVX!